Have you ever seen the distinctive company delivery trucks driving around and thought: Does Ben E Keith hire felons? Successful Release asked the company directly about their hiring policies.
Our goal at Successful Release is to help former felons find work. This is important to us because many of our staff have criminal records, or have worked to get felons settled in the community.
If you want to work for a large family-owned company servicing the food and beverage industry, Ben E Keith may be the just the ticket. So, read on to find out:
- Does Ben E Keith do background checks?
- How does Ben E Keith hire felons?
- What kind of jobs do they have?
- What are their interviews like?
- Does Ben E Keith hire people with misdemeanors?
Does Ben E Keith hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
When we contacted the company directly, they gave us their official hiring policy. Here’s what they said about how to get a job at Ben E Keith with a felony:
“Thank you for reaching out, but we do not currently have a program for former offenders. I’ve discussed it with Risk Management and am hopeful for something in the future.”
Has Ben E Keith hired felons in the past?
The company’s official statement doesn’t specifically tell us if they’ve hired felons before. However, what they’ve told us does seem encouraging. If they’re going to consider a specific program for the future, they may already have some experience hiring felons.
Does Ben E Keith hire people with misdemeanors?
We couldn’t find any information confirming or denying this. Interestingly, the company’s statement above talks about former offenders in general. This suggests that they might hire people with misdemeanors, or at least they’ll think about it for the future.
Is Ben E Keith on the Ban the Box list?
The Ban the Box campaign wants employers to look at job skills before a criminal record. As a result, it asks businesses to consider creating a job application without a criminal record check box. Unfortunately, Ben E Keith isn’t on the Ban the Box list.
Another initiative helping former felons land a job is the Fair Chance Business Pledge. Basically, companies sign the pledge to show they’ll treat all applicants equally. This includes those with a criminal record. Regrettably, this company hasn’t yet made the Fair Chance Business Pledge, either.
But, don’t let this information get you down. You should take heart in what they told us in their response, and apply anyway.
Does Ben E Keith have special programs for hiring felons?
At the moment, they don’t. Even so, they’ve told us they’re hopeful they’ll have a program in the future.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
We think your odds of getting hired at Ben E Keith with a felony are average. This is based on the following:
- The company’s official statement confirms they’re hoping to have a special program in the future for hiring people with criminal records.
- We can’t find any online confirmation that you either can get a job at Ben E Keith with a felony or you can’t.
- When we reviewed a number of job openings, we found only one that said you must not have a criminal record.
What are some entry-level jobs?
Ben E Keith provides food, beverages, restaurant equipment and supplies to restaurants, hotels, schools and other institutional businesses in eleven states. Working for the company is fast-paced, just like the industries it serves.
Here are examples of entry-level jobs:
- Delivery Driver — deliver product to customers and collect payment.
- Driver Assistant — assist drivers with responsibilities.
- Shuttle Driver — drive loaded trailers to shuttle depot and empty ones back.
- Transportation Office Clerk — order supplies, answer phones, enter data.
- Inventory Control Associate — track inventory, assist the manager.
- Warehouse General — operate a forklift, load and repack product.
- Packer — weigh, label and package product.
- Sales and Service Representative — deliver product, organize store displays.
- Distributor Sales Representative — sell product, find new clients.
- Store Stocker — restock store shelves.
These positions have a range of good medical and insurance benefits. Also, you can expect paid vacation, education assistance, a 401(k) retirement plan and profit sharing with the company.
How to get hired at Ben E Keith with a felony
To begin with, look at the company website to find job openings. Sixty-four percent of staff who commented on glassdoor.com said they applied online, so this seems to be the easiest way to apply.
Remember, you can also go directly to Ben E Keith and apply with your resume.
Being familiar with where you’ll be interviewed before you do it will make you feel a little more at ease.
In addition, any opportunity to make a good first impression is worthwhile!
Here’s some good advice about how to get hired at Ben E Keith:
- See if you can get a referral from anyone who may already work for the company.
- Show persistence by following up on your application, if you don’t hear back after a few days.
- Be prepared to be interviewed on the spot if you take your application in person.
- Interviews usually start with a question like “Tell me a little about yourself”. This is your chance to be honest about your offenses, and explain what you’ve learned.
- Be ready to explain the steps you’ve taken that will make you a good risk as an employee.
- Don’t forget to talk up your skills and experience.
- Study up on the company before the interview. This will help you say what you know about them, and why you want to work there.
- You may be asked what your greatest weakness is. Don’t stress about this question. In fact, it’s another opportunity to say what you’ve done to leave your criminal past.
- Above all, be confident! Remember, you know you can be a good employee, if given the chance.
Does Ben E Keith do background checks?
Yes, they do. If you’re successful in the interview, Ben E Keith will usually offer you a job provided you pass a background check. In addition, you’ll need to pass a physical for some jobs, so keep this in mind.
We couldn’t find any information about exactly what the company looks into. However, here’s a helpful article about background checks that gives you an idea what they could include.
Here’s what you need to know about background checks:
In certain states employers look only at the last seven years for a background check. Following is a list of those states:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
(* sometimes certain pay or salary bracket positions require one.)
Some states really won’t look at charges where you were found not guilty. Here are these states:
- New York
However, be aware that some states look at your whole record, including any not guilty verdicts:
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
We looked at ratings for Ben E Keith on three different websites, and what we found was encouraging.
On indeed.com, they get 3.8 out of 5 based on 168 reviews. People said Ben E Keith is a “straightforward and laid back company” where “management is . . . willing to work with you if it involves your personal life or your job.”
There are 106 reviews on glassdoor.com. Here they get 3.2 out of 5. People commented “very fair management” and “possibilities to advance and receive bonus opportunities.”
Finally, on zippia.com, they get 4.4 out of 5.
Ratings on the first two sites are based on feedback usually from employees. However, zippia.com compares companies with one another. For example, zippia.com looks at salary, diversity and performance. Out of 10, they give Ben E Keith 7.4 for salary, 9 for diversity and 9.8 for performance.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
This likely depends on what position you’re applying for. For instance, Delivery Drivers will need to have a clean driving record. This is so the company has no difficulty insuring them to drive a company vehicle.
Drivers also handle payment. Consequently, if you have a criminal history for fraud or theft, this could be a problem.
If you have a background of offenses involving violence, this could be a problem no matter what job you’re going for.
If you’re wondering just how you’ll be able to get a job at Ben E Keith with a felony, one piece of advice is to be honest. Remember, you’ve served your sentence and are turning things around for yourself.
Does Ben E Keith drug test?
Once an offer of employment is made, you’ll need to pass a drug test before you begin the job.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
So, what do you know about how to get hired at Ben E Keith with a criminal record?
Step up and make a difference for our readers by sharing what you know!