Does a job transporting goods across the country by rail excite you? Then you might wonder: Does CSX hire felons?
Successful Release finds out hiring policies for former felons by contacting businesses directly and asking them.
We also research answers to helpful questions such as:
- How does CSX do background checks?
- What do staff say in reviews about the company?
- What are some good tips for how to get hired at CSX?
Many of us at Successful Release have experience applying for jobs with a criminal record. That means we have a strong desire to help you and know how to do it! We’ll share what we know and tailor it to CSX in this article. Read on!
Does CSX hire felons?
Attr: Wikimedia Commons; Author: Jarek Tuszyński
Official company policy for hiring felons
We don’t have this information yet and there’s nothing on their website about this. We’re in the process of contacting the company.
CSX hired felons in the past?
Based on online employee comments, yes, they have.
Does CSX hire people with misdemeanors?
We can’t say for sure. But these are less serious charges than felonies, so they probably will.
Is CSX on the Ban the Box list?
Here’s what you need to know about two programs that help former felons apply for work:
Ban the Box — Companies on this list don’t have a criminal record check box on their job application form. This proves that they want to see your qualifications before your offense history.
Fair Chance Business Pledge — Businesses that sign up pledge to treat everyone fairly, criminal record or not.
We’re sad to say that CSX isn’t on the Ban the Box list. Not only that, but they haven’t signed the Fair Chance Business Pledge. Therefore, if you’re wondering how does CSX hire people with misdemeanors or felonies, it’s not with one of these initiatives.
Does CSX have special programs for hiring felons?
No, there’s no evidence that they do.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
We believe the odds are average. Here’s why:
- Staff say online that you can get a job at CSX with a felony. That’s a pretty strong indicator!
- The company’s policy isn’t available to us yet.
- They have no special programs for hiring ex-felons.
- CSX isn’t on the Ban the Box list and hasn’t signed the Fair Chance Business Pledge.
What are some entry-level jobs?
Do you have a high school diploma (or GED) and a valid driver’s license? Those are the basic requirements for these entry-level jobs at CSX:
Track Worker — Installs and maintains railroad tracks, switches and crossings. Also cuts back brush for access and use.
Utility Worker — Services and cleans locomotives. Transports supplies between work and storage sites. Cleans up locomotive and train car repair areas.
Train Dispatcher — Directs and coordinates the safe movement of railroad traffic remotely.
Crew Dispatcher — Assigns train crews to work in the rail yard and operate trains.
Intermodal Service Worker — Performs gate inspections. Inspects and secures trailers and containers. Operates machines to lift equipment on and off rail cars.
Read their job overviews for more information.
How to get hired at CSX with a felony
Start here to learn about the hiring process and see all job openings. If you have any questions about applying, their FAQs cover a lot of topics.
Once you’re ready to apply, write a great resume to send in with your application. This can improve your chances to get a job at CSX with a felony or misdemeanor. Take a look at our resume tips:
- Use language when describing your past job duties that matches the job you’re going for. If the job ad talks about troubleshooting or problem-solving and communicating well with others, for example, use the same words in your resume.
- CSX invites applicants to “join the team that’s making CSX America’s best-run railroad.” Teamwork is important to the company, so describe when you were part of a team — including prison jobs, like in those the kitchen.
- The company’s tagline is “Pride. Passion. Relentless Drive.” Include any accomplishments that you worked hard for, like getting your GED in jail.
- List references for your work ethic, good character and what you’re doing to turn your life around. Your landlord, pastor or high school coach are all good choices.
We’ve got even more tips for you. Here’s how to prepare for your interview:
- Clean up anything embarrassing on social media.
- Dress for the job. Keep a clean and tidy appearance.
- Practice your best answers to these difficult questions:
- What did you like about your last job?
- Why did you leave your last employer?
- Describe your working relationships with former managers and coworkers. Hint: Start with a supervisor that you got along well with. All the better if they’re one of your references!
- Remember to bring your resume, reference list and I.D.
- Take a notepad and pen so you can jot down any questions you want to ask.
Don’t forget that a personalized thank you to the hiring manager afterwards by email or card will make sure you’re remembered for the right reasons!
Does CSX do background checks?
The company requires a background check, according to job postings we looked at. However, we can’t confirm what it involves.
Read the important information below about background checks across the United States:
Good news if you apply for a job in these states! They only take into account the last seven years in a criminal background check:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
(* sometimes certain pay or salary bracket positions require one.)
The states below don’t want to know about any not guilty verdicts:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
Background checks in these states consider your entire criminal history:
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
On Glassdoor, staff give the company only 2.4 out of 5 stars. Along with that rating, 27% say they’d recommend working at CSX to a friend and 15% like the CEO.
What did reviewers think you should know?
- Pay and benefits
- Safety culture
- Overtime available
- Traveling away from home
- Being on call
- Poor management
1,357 employees rate CSX 3.3 out of 5 stars on Indeed. The score for compensation was higher than average at 73%, while the work happiness score of 55% was below average.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
Employees of CSX need to make safety a priority. Do you have a record for trafficking in controlled substances? If your criminal charges involve drugs or alcohol, the hiring manager might be concerned that you’ll be a safety risk on the job.
In addition, most positions require you to be a licensed driver. If you’ve got a history of driving infractions (including DUI), it might be difficult for CSX to insure you to drive company vehicles.
Teamwork is big for the company. They rely on employees getting along and pulling together to sort out problems. A criminal record for offenses involving harm to others, such as assault or harassment, is not what they want to see on your background check.
Does CSX drug test?
Yes. The job postings we looked at said you need to pass initial drug screening. What’s more, you might have random tests for drugs and alcohol on the job.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
What do you know: In your experience, does CSX hire felons? Your information is valuable to others!