Are you having a tough time finding work? Today we’re going to help you find the right job and prepare for the workforce again, starting with answering the question: Does Dick’s Sporting Goods hire felons?
You may know that Dick’s Sporting Goods is a retail company known for sporting goods and apparel. If you’re interested in all things sports, let us help you get a job at Dick’s Sporting Goods with a felony. We’ll take a look at the following questions, and more:
- Does Dick’s Sporting Goods hire people with misdemeanors?
- What kind of entry-level jobs do they have?
- Does Dick’s Sporting Goods do background checks or drug testing?
Are you wondering why we’re so invested? Because we’ve been there. We are people with prior convictions as well as professionals who have worked closely with them. That’s why we directly contact companies to ask them if they’ll hire former felons.We also do specific research so we can give you additional resume and interview tips.
Our Successful Release team is committed to helping you lead a normal, productive life.
So, without further delay, let’s learn more about how to get hired at Dick’s Sporting Goods with a criminal conviction.
Does Dick’s Sporting Goods hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
Regrettably, we haven’t been able to make contact with the company yet. According to online sources, however, Dick’s Sporting Goods won’t hire those with a felony on their record.
Has Dick’s Sporting Goods hired felons in the past?
Sources say Dick’s Sporting Goods hasn’t hired felons in the past. This may be, in part, because they sell firearms.
Does Dick’s Sporting Goods hire people with misdemeanors?
We can’t say definitively if Dick’s Sporting Goods will hire those with misdemeanor convictions.
Is Dick’s Sporting Goods on the Ban the Box list?
Ban the Box is a push to get rid of the box on applications asking if a person’s been convicted of a crime. The Fair Chance Business Pledge is part of this initiative, encouraging employers to look at prospective employees for their talents and work history instead of their criminal backgrounds.
Dick’s Sporting Goods isn’t on the Ban the Box list and they haven’t signed the Fair Chance Business Pledge. This is probably because they don’t hire former felons.
Does Dick’s Sporting Goods have special programs for hiring felons?
While the company doesn’t offer any special programs for hiring felons, there are places that can help you if you’re interested. Your local employment office or workforce development agency should be able to point you in the right direction.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
Unfortunately, we think your odds of getting hired at Dick’s Sporting Goods are low. This is because, through our research and that of our source’s, the company won’t hire anyone with a felony conviction.
What are some entry-level jobs?
The main entry-level jobs at Dick’s Sporting Goods are sales associates and cashiers.
Sales associates are responsible for bringing a world-class experience to their customers. They need to showing knowledge, passion and commitment to their department, and promote their loyalty program.
The main duties of a cashier position is to run the cash register, handle cash or credit card transactions, and other store duties as needed.
Starting at the ground level is a great way to learn your way around the store and its day-to-day operations. This will give you a leg up on promotions within the company.
How to get hired at Dick’s Sporting Goods with a felony
Even though they don’t hire felons, you have every right to fill out an application. Dick’s Sporting Goods is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Here are some suggestions when applying:
- You’ll need to go to their careers page to locate the position you’re qualified for in your area and access the online application.
- You should keep a copy of your resume close by for reference when completing the application. We have a resume guide to help, if needed.
- Double check your spelling, grammar and punctuation before submitting.
Once you’ve received the callback for an interview, there are a few things you’ll want to make sure to do:
- Arrive 15 minutes early. This will ensure you have time to fill out any pre-interview paperwork. It’ll also show you’re able to be on-time.
- Dress appropriately for the position. An interview isn’t the time for jeans and a t-shirt. Wear clean, business casual clothes. Also, it’s best to cover any tattoos and take out any piercings until company policy is covered on these things.
- Pay attention and ask appropriate questions throughout the interview. Stay alert and show interest in the position as well as the company.
- Have your resume with you for reference. You may need it for any questions you don’t immediately remember, like dates and duties of previous employers.
Does Dick’s Sporting Goods do background checks?
Our sources show Dick’s Sporting Goods will perform a background check before an offer of employment is made. This is especially true for cashier, CSS and lodge positions.
Here’s what you need to know about background checks:
There are some states that won’t look at any conviction more than seven years old. These are those states:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
(* sometimes certain pay or salary bracket positions require one.)
There are other states that don’t look at cases where you were found not guilty. Eight states are currently on this list:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
However, there are still some states that will look at everything on your record. This includes your not guilty verdicts. Be aware, if you live in one of these states:
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
We took it upon ourselves to research Dick’s Sporting Goods ratings. On glassdoor.com, they have a 3.3 out of 5 star rating. Of the 3,901 reviews, the best thing about working for the company is the great work environment. The biggest drawback is lack of room for advancement for part-time employees.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
Does Dick’s Sporting Goods hire felons? Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like they do. However, there are a few felonies that may make getting hired at Dick’s Sporting goods that much tougher.
- Robbery or theft, if you’re in a cashier position handling cash or merchandise.
- Fraud, if you’re operating a credit card machine as a cashier.
- Violent crimes, since you’ll be in direct contact with a variety of customers.
- Weapons violations, because Dick’s Sporting Goods sells guns.
Does Dick’s Sporting Goods drug test?
Our sources had conflicting responses and we haven’t been able to verify from the company itself, but it looks like they typically don’t drug test. It’s best to be on the safe side though, and prepare as if they do.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
We’d love to hear if you were able to use this article to get a job at Dick’s Sporting Goods with a felony. Someone else may need to hear your story. Let’s stick together and help our community!