If you love working on vehicles, then you’ve come to the right place to find out: Does Goodyear hire felons?
Successful Release reaches out directly to companies to learn their policy on hiring former felons. We find out all we can to assist you in applying for work as a former felon. This covers questions like:
- Does Goodyear hire people with misdemeanors?
- How do employees rate the company?
- What are some good interview tips?
We want you to succeed in your job hunt because many of us have re-entered the workforce ourselves after prison release. You can trust us — our tips are legit!
Does Goodyear hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
We’re in the middle of contacting the company so we don’t have this yet. When we looked online, we didn’t find anything concrete.
Has Goodyear hired felons in the past?
There are very few online comments that suggest they have.
Does Goodyear hire people with misdemeanors?
We can’t confirm. Keep in mind that if they’ll hire people with felonies, they probably will consider someone with a less serious misdemeanor.
Is Goodyear on the Ban the Box list?
No. Goodyear doesn’t appear on the Ban the Box list. You might know already that companies on this list remove the checkbox asking about your criminal record from their application form. This is a way to be sure they look at your job skills first.
Good news! Goodyear has taken the Fair Chance Business Pledge. This means they promise to treat all job applicants fairly. They don’t discriminate against applicants with a criminal background. This helps explain a little about just how does Goodyear hire felons.
Does Goodyear have special programs for hiring felons?
We found no special programs to assist you to get a job at Goodyear with a felony.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
We believe the odds are average. Here are the reasons:
- We don’t know their official hiring policy.
- They’ve signed the Fair Chance Business Pledge, though don’t seem to be part of Ban the Box.
- There are some online comments from employees about former offenders getting hired before.
What are some entry-level jobs?’
The following are examples of some good entry-level jobs at Goodyear:
Automotive Technician — Repairs and changes tires, inspects and does routine vehicle maintenance and completes oil changes. You must have three years of automotive experience.
Automotive Guest Advisor — Sells tires, describes products and services to customers, and makes recommendations. Requires customer service experience.
Truck Care Level 1 Technician — Responsible for light mechanical work on commercial trucks and trailers. Must be able to meet the driving qualifications for commercial vehicles.
Pick-up and Delivery Driver — Picks up and delivers tires, loads and unloads products, and keeps documentation about deliveries. You need to have had a driver’s license for six months and be able to meet the driving qualifications for commercial vehicles.
You don’t need a high school diploma to get one of them, but you do need a driver’s license. Here’s an example of a job in manufacturing that requires a high school diploma:
Production Associate — Operates industrial tire manufacturing equipment. Previous manufacturing or industrial experience is preferred.
How to get hired at Goodyear with a felony
First, make sure you have a strong resume. Does Goodyear hire felons who don’t have a resume? Maybe, but it certainly improves your chances if you have one! Here are a few tips to get you going:
- Compare what the position asks for to what’s on your resume. You can re-order or elaborate on some of your experience to better match the job posting. For example, if you’ve always worked on your own vehicle, say that at the beginning.
- Put the document away for a day and read it over fresh. Look for any typos and better ways to say things.
- Have someone who knows you well review your resume and advise you on how to best show your skills.
Here’s where you find open positions at Goodyear. Based on our research of the company website, we have a few hints to prepare you for an interview:
- All job ads say the company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that doesn’t discriminate on protected grounds. Sure, this doesn’t explain how to get hired at Goodyear with a felony, but it tells us that they play by the rules. This means they’ll appreciate your honesty about your skills and your criminal history.
- One benefit of working at Goodyear is their focus on personal and professional development. They offer learning programs and tuition reimbursement. Be sure to demonstrate that you’re keen to learn and build a career with the company.
- The company’s culture is based on health, wellness, safety and emergency preparedness. Maybe you were on the health and safety committee at a previous job, took part in a fitness challenge or completed a charity run for donations. Talk up any experience you have in these areas.
Finally, make sure that you’re remembered after your interview as a hard-working professional rather than as a former felon. Make sure you:
- Arrive about 15 minutes early.
- Are friendly and respectful.
- Have a tidy and clean appearance.
- Show confidence with your posture and eye contact.
- Verify your availability to start the job.
- Ask if you can call back in a week or two to find out if a hiring decision was made.
Does Goodyear do background checks?
The company website says they participate in the E-Verify program. This is how they confirm that job applicants are eligible to work in the United States. Other than that, we can’t say how exactly does Goodyear do background checks.
Be aware of the following information about how each state does background checks:
If you haven’t been arrested for at least seven years, don’t worry. In these states, that’s the only time period they look at:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
(* sometimes certain pay or salary bracket positions require one.)
Here are the states that don’t consider any not guilty verdicts:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
Having said that, the majority of states will review your entire record — even not guilty judgements! Here they are:
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Over 1,300 employees on Glassdoor say the company deserves 3.3 out of 5 stars. They like Goodyear best for the great work environment, nice people, good pay and awesome benefits. The downsides are long hours and little work-life balance. Therefore, 58% would recommend working there to a friend.
Other sites give Goodyear a higher score. For example, 2,800 reviews on Indeed give the company 3.7 out of 5 stars. They like the pay and benefits, culture and work-life balance best.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
If the job you apply for requires driving, then offenses like DUIs or vehicular assaults may be a problem. The company wants you to have a clean driving record. They don’t need you to be a risk on the job or pay higher fees to their insurer so you can drive vehicles at work.
Working cooperatively with coworkers is important at Goodyear. And, dealing appropriately with customers brings repeat business. Therefore, a criminal history that includes assault, stalking or criminal harassment will concern the hiring manager. This is because it tells them you may have difficulty getting along with others.
Does Goodyear drug test?
Yes, according to online comments, the company drug tests as part of the hiring process.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
Here’s your chance to help someone else. Give us your experience of how to get a job at Goodyear with a felony!