Finding a job is one of the most difficult issues a former felon will face after their release. We know you dread having to ask questions like: Does J & H Family Stores hire felons? That’s exactly why Successful Release contacts companies directly to ask them about their hiring policies for former felons. We want to make the job search process a little less stressful for you and other former felons.
The majority of us at Successful Release have been in your shoes or worked with someone who has. We’re former felons, too, so we definitely know what you’re up against.
We look to answer questions like:
- Does J & H Family Stores hire felons?
- Does J & H Family Stores do background checks?
- What convictions might make it harder for me to get hired?
- Does J & H Family Stores hire people with misdemeanors?
- What is the best approach in applying?
Let’s keep reading to see what we uncovered about if you can get a job at J & H Family Stores with a felony.
Does J & H Family Stores hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
When we contacted J & H, here is what we were told by the Human Resources Manager:
“We have hired employees with past felony convictions in the past. But because we handle a lot of money and the job requires interaction with customers, we are limited as to what is an acceptable felony. We will not hire anyone with a theft/embezzlement-related felony and cannot hire anyone with a sex offender record.”
This is great news overall, so let’s read on to see how to get hired at J & H Family Stores with a record.
Has J & H Family Stores hired felons in the past?
Yes, they told us that they have!
But how do you get a job at J & H Family Stores with a felony? We will cover that in an upcoming section, so keep reading for all the insight!
Does J & H Family Stores hire people with misdemeanors?
Let’s face it: Anyone with any type of conviction has a hard time getting a job these days. Getting a job with a misdemeanor can be just as difficult as with a felony. But remember, they already told us they will hire felons. So there shouldn’t be a reason why they wouldn’t hire someone with a misdemeanor too.
Is J & H Family Stores on the Ban the Box list?
Even though most people don’t realize how hard it is for someone with a criminal record to land a job — there are some who have taken notice. There are actually different support groups such as the Ban the Box campaign and the Fair Chance Business Pledge that have not only taken notice but they’re taking steps to try and make it easier for former felons to re-enter the working world.
The Ban the Box is used to persuade employers to remove questions concerning criminal histories from their applications.
Doing so forces the employer to look at what’s in front of them: The applicant’s abilities and not their past mistakes.
Companies that are willing to practice these fair hiring policies for all, including former felons, often take The Fair Chance Business Pledge as well.
J & H Family Stores wasn’t found to support either of these initiatives, but that’s okay. How can we say that? Well, they already told us they will hire former felons and they don’t ask about your criminal record on their application.
Does J & H Family Stores have special programs for hiring felons?
No, they don’t. Most companies don’t, though, so don’t let this discourage you. Remember that they hire felons anyway!
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
The odds of you being hired here are high. How do we know this? They told us they will hire felons and they have hired them in the past.
You may be thinking that’s great, but can you tell me how to get hired at J & H Family Stores with a felony? Yes, we’ll be getting to that, so keep reading!
What are some entry-level jobs?
As a convenience store, J & H Family Stores offers a variety of positions. Here are a few entry-level jobs and some of their requirements:
- Sales Associate — This position is available for both part- and full-time. Duties include receiving payments, assisting customers, and stocking coolers and shelves. Must have some high school math, reading and writing skills.
- Food Service — This position is also available in both part- and full-time. Customer service skills are a must since you will deal with people all day. You’ll also prepare orders, collect payment and be able to provide menu knowledge to customers. Some high school education is required for this position.
How to get hired at J & H Family Stores with a felony
There are some things you might want to keep in mind when applying with J & H Family Stores. Here are a few we think will be most important:
- Relax — We already know they will hire a former offender! So remember to be yourself and be honest. You got this!
- Application — The application is short and sweet, and should be done online. Basic information is asked, but J & H provides a space to upload a cover letter and a resume. These documents will be used to determine if you are qualified for the position you are applying for.
- Cover Letter — The cover letter is not something that all companies require in their application process. However, some will provide an option to include one. It’s always a great idea to include one if you can. The cover letter doesn’t need to be long and drawn out. It needs to be to the point to grab their attention. The best cover letter will briefly tell them why you are an excellent pick for the position. It gives them a sneak peak of all your skills and qualifications.
- Resume — Most people dread the resume. But you don’t have to! We provide a guide set out to help former offenders specifically with this. By looking at J & H’s application, we know that your resume is going to be what decides if you get an interview or not. Our tips will assist you on how you can put all your skills on your resume . . . even the ones you gained while you were incarcerated. For example, if you worked in the canteen you have experience in stocking and customer service.
- Interview — First impressions are very important, especially when applying for a job with a record. This will be your chance to let your personality and character shine through.
- Prepare the night before so you are arrive on time (if not early). Take care selecting your outfit.
- Personal hygiene and appearance are important since you will be a reflection of the company.
- Speak clearly and use your manners. This company is in the customer service field, so these are things that can be a deal breaker.
- Go ahead and make them aware of your background. This is your chance to tell them on your terms and still have a great chance at getting hired anyway! Being upfront and honest will work in your favor.
Does J & H Family Stores do background checks?
There wasn’t an exact answer provided here. Since we know there are certain crimes they won’t hire, we think that they will perform a background check.
Here are some things to keep in mind regarding background checks:
Luckily there are states that now will only look at an offense if it’s less than seven years old. Here are those states:
- New Hampshire
- New York
We do have states that will see only guilty convictions. They are as follows:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
Unfortunately, most states still look at everything. Those states include:
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
The company doesn’t have much of an online presence, unfortunately. Glassdoor didn’t have any reviews at all, but Indeed had some. They showed 16 reviews giving J & H Family Stores a score of 3.1 out of 5 stars. Most employees seem to enjoy working here. But like any job there will be complaints — theirs come from long hours and short breaks.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
J & H Family Stores makes it very clear that there are a few convictions they will not hire. Here are those mentioned:
- Sex offenses — The jobs here will require interaction with customers and they specifically stated that a sex offender would not be hired.
- Theft or embezzlement crimes — Due to the large amounts of money handled, they choose not to hire anyone with these crimes.
Does J & H Family Stores drug test?
We found nothing that answered this question. We suggest that you are prepared as a precaution.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
What feedback can you provide about J & H Family Stores? Have you worked here with a felony? Do you know someone who has? We would appreciate any feedback you can give us.