Have you been struggling to find a job with a felony conviction and limited work experience? Assuming so, you should consider asking: Does Menchie’s hire felons? If this question is one you would like answered, then you are in the right place!
We understand that finding a job with a felony conviction is anything but easy. That’s why Successful Release contacts companies directly to ask them about their hiring policies for former felons.
Were you aware that many of us here at Successful Release are former felons or have worked closely with them? This is how we know the best questions to ask employers on your behalf. We do this to help make the journey back into the workforce as easy as possible for you and other former felons.
Here are just a few questions we will be looking to answer:
- What is Menchie’s hiring policy?
- Does Menchie’s hire people with misdemeanors?
- What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
- Does Menchie’s do background checks?
Let’s take a look at what all this means and how to get hired at Menchie’s, even with a criminal record.
Does Menchie’s hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
This is what Menchie’s told us when we contacted them:
“Due to each location being individually owned and operated, Menchie’s Headquarters does not have these records and cannot advise on those matters. Therefore, all HR matters which include, but are not limited to, hiring and payroll are handled on a store level directly with the owner.”
Their website had this to add:
Menchie’s will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
So does Menchie’s hire felons? It sounds like they do! Let’s keep reading to find out more.
Has Menchie’s hired felons in the past?
Although Menchie’s states they will consider hiring someone with a criminal record, we found nothing in our research that says they’ve done so before.
Does Menchie’s hire people with misdemeanors?
Individuals with misdemeanors sometimes have a hard time finding a job too. Unfortunately Menchie’s didn’t mention anything about hiring someone with a misdemeanor when we talked to them. However, since their website says they’ll consider hiring someone with a criminal record, this will include lesser offenses as well.
Is Menchie’s on the Ban the Box list?
Did you know there is a campaign that urges companies to remove all questions about previous convictions from their applications? Yup! This is known as the Ban the Box campaign. The campaign’s purpose is to give all applicants a fair chance at employment. It causes the companies look at the applicant and their abilities instead of their background.
Companies are signing what is known as The Fair Chance Business Pledge as well. By doing so, they volunteer to commit fair hiring practices for all.
Menchie’s was not found to support either of these initiatives. But that’s okay, because we already know you will still be considered — even with a criminal history.
Let’s read on to see what is the best way to get a job at Menchie’s with a felony.
Does Menchie’s have special programs for hiring felons?
Regretfully, Menchie’s isn’t a company that offers these programs.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
Without any concrete proof that they’ve hired someone with a felony conviction before, we can’t be certain that they would now. Remember, their website says they will consider someone with a criminal history. With that being said, we have to say the odds of getting hired at Menchie’s with a felony are uncertain.
But how can you improve your odds? Well, let’s continue on to see how to get a job at Menchie’s with a felony.
What are some entry-level jobs?
Menchie’s is the world’s largest self-serve frozen yogurt franchise. If you’ve been to one before, you’ll have an idea of the positions available. Here’s a short list to consider:
- Team Member — Take and fill orders. You don’t need any specific skills to start! This position provides hourly pay plus mileage.
- BOH Support Staff — This is a back-of-house position that will require preparing food, washing dishes and assisting in running the kitchen. Previous kitchen experience preferred.
Look what we also found on one of their job listings:
The ONLY skills we absolutely require from all of our applicants are a smile on your face, and a positive attitude!
How to get hired at Menchie’s with a felony
We have finally made it to the section where we will provide tips and suggestions to help you have the best possible chance of getting a job at Menchie’s — even with a criminal history!
Keep in mind Menchie’s is a franchise. What this means is that each location will be owned by a different person, so their hiring requirements vary. We do know there will be a few things that won’t change, no matter who the owner is:
- The first step will be filling out their application. You can do this online at menchies.com.
- The next step is the part that most people dread . . . the resume. We understand and are here to help you with this too. We have a complete section to help you put the finishing touches on your resume. So make sure you give it a look!
- The final step will be the interview. Relax. We already know that Menchie’s is willing to consider you. This will be your first chance to show up and outshine all the other applicants.
Here are a few pointers we suggest for an impressive interview:
- Arrive on time, or early if possible. This is important because it shows them your ability to be prompt and dependable.
- Make sure you are presentable and have all tattoos covered and piercings removed.
- Smile, be professional, use your manners, and allow your personality to shine through. Remember they told us the only requirements are a smile and a positive attitude!
- Use this as an opportunity to highlight your skills that pertain to the job you are applying for. An example would be: If you have delivered pizza before, you can use your delivery experience in applying for a catering job.
- This will also be the most appropriate time to discuss your background, if necessary, and how you used the situation to better yourself.
- Offer character references. It’s always a good idea to have at least three professional references available. Great examples of these references include: A pastor, previous employer, parole or probation officer, or mentor.
- Ask questions. This will be a perfect chance for you to ask any questions you may have concerning the company, job, or even policies regarding tattoos and piercings.
Does Menchie’s do background checks?
Yes, Menchie’s does background checks. However, it’s not clear if all of their locations do or if it’s just for certain positions. We advise that you’re prepared to discuss your background if needed.
Something to keep in mind regarding background checks:
A felony conviction that’s seven years old or older will not be seen by these states:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New Hampshire
- New York
The eight states listed below show only guilty convictions:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
There are some states that will still see everything. The following are those states:
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Glassdoor.com rated Menchie’s with 3.4 out of 5 stars. Pretty good for the food industry!
You can expect free yogurt and employee discounts while working in a fun environment. Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot of room for advancement and most jobs are minimum wage positions.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
We know Menchie’s is a customer service business, so any violent or sexual offense on record may make it difficult to get hired.
Their entry-level positions also include handling money and credit cards, so theft charges may hinder you as well.
Does Menchie’s drug test?
There was nothing that indicated Menchie’s will perform a drug screen. This may vary at each location, so we recommend that you’re prepared anyway.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
Have you had experience working at Menchie’s with a felony? Do you know someone else who has? We’d love to learn about it.