Do you see yourself working in the automotive industry? Let us answer the question: Does Oshkosh Corporation hire felons?
At Successful Release, we reach out to businesses directly to learn their policy on hiring former felons. Our goal is to give you as much help as we can when applying for work with a criminal history.
Many Successful Release staff have a criminal record too. We know the struggle. We’ll give you answers to other questions like: How does Oshkosh Corporation do background checks? What do staff reviews say about the company?
Let’s get started!
Does Oshkosh Corporation hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
We don’t have this yet, so we can’t say. Plus, their policy isn’t on the company website.
Has Oshkosh Corporation hired felons in the past?
It seems they have, but it depends on the felony. We base this on online comments from staff.
Does Oshkosh Corporation hire people with misdemeanors?
We can’t say for sure. Remember that misdemeanors are less serious than felonies, so you stand a better chance.
Is Oshkosh Corporation on the Ban the Box list?
We’re sorry to say that Oshkosh Corporation isn’t on the Ban the Box list. Employers who sign don’t have a criminal record checkbox on their application form. This gives you the opportunity to show them your job skills before they ask about your criminal history.
Also, the company hasn’t signed the Fair Chance Business Pledge. If they had, it would tell us right away that they treat every person fairly in the application process. It doesn’t matter if you have a criminal record or not.
But, don’t be discouraged! Thirteen states have Ban the Box laws that apply to private companies. This might make it easier to get a job at Oshkosh Corporation with a felony since they have manufacturing plants in 4 of these states.
Does Oshkosh Corporation have special programs for hiring felons?
If you’re wondering does Oshkosh Corporation hire felons through a special program, unfortunately they don’t.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
Our opinion is that the odds are average and here’s why:
- We don’t have Oshkosh Corporation’s policy on hiring former felons.
- The company isn’t on the Ban the Box list and hasn’t signed the Fair Chance Business Pledge.
- Several of their manufacturing plants are in states with Ban the Box laws for private companies.
- Some employees say you can get hired with a criminal record and some say you can’t.
What are some entry-level jobs?
We found some examples of entry-level jobs at Oshkosh Corporation. Here’s one that requires a high school diploma:
- Prepares parts and equipment for painting by cleaning and de-greasing surfaces, as well as masking unpainted surfaces to protect them.
- Performs a variety of tasks to support manufacturing and production.
Don’t have a high school diploma? Maybe you have supervisory experience and want to know how to get hired at Oshkosh Corporation in production or manufacturing. Well, they have supervisors here too:
- Plans and oversees the work of employees in production.
- Gives plant team support with materials and technical needs.
How to get hired at Oshkosh Corporation with a felony
Start by writing a great resume. When you see all your job skills and experience on paper, it will remind you that you have a lot to offer. This will boost your confidence that you can get a job at Oshkosh Corporation with a felony or misdemeanor. Here are some resume tips:
- List key customer skills up front that match the job you’re going for.
- Show responsibility with phrases like “took action to”, “responded quickly”, etc.
- Include any awards your work team got for things like meeting sales quotas.
- Highlight leadership roles you had, even if it was a role you had in jail such as organizing the room for AA meetings.
Next, go to the company’s job openings page and see what they’re hiring for. The Oshkosh Corporation believes if they treat their staff right, staff will treat customers right and sales will be strong. Here’s how you can use this philosophy in your interview:
- Show respect
- Be polite when you meet the interviewers.
- Wait until they’re finished asking a question before you answer.
- “Please” and “thank you” always goes a long way.
- Keep your questions to a minimum when you’re asked if you have any.
- Highlight cooperation
- Use teamwork examples with other employees when you answer questions.
- Say if you’ve collaborated with other volunteers or been part of a team.
- Explain how cooperation was necessary when you were incarcerated.
- Talk about serving others
- Discuss any customer service job responsibilities.
- Dig deep to describe the work you did as a kid like babysitting or lawn mowing.
- Tell about volunteering including anything you did in prison to help other inmates, such as tutoring.
- Describe how you kept your cool when handling difficult people.
Does Oshkosh Corporation do background checks?
Some of the company’s job postings say that you have to pass a background check. However, it’s not clear with this includes. Businesses always need to verify that you can legally work in the United States. Be ready — they might check up on any other information you give them.
Here’s what we know about how each state conducts a background check:
The following states consider only offenses in the last seven years:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
(* sometimes certain pay or salary bracket positions require one.)
These states don’t want to know if you’ve been found not guilty:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
Be warned that the states below review all of your criminal history — even if you were found not guilty.
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Oshkosh Corporation gets 4.3 out of 5 stars on Glassdoor. This is based on 453 reviews. What’s really impressive is that the company made the Glassdoor Best Places to Work list in 2018 and 2019. And, 89% said they’d recommend Oshkosh Corporation to a friend and a whopping 99% approve of the CEO.
Many staff mention the “people first” culture in their reviews. Basically, this means that employees are treated with respect and all staff are encouraged to work together.
Another 590 employees give them 3.6 out of 5 stars on indeed.com. The highest marks go to salary and benefits, work-life balance and culture.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
Maybe you’re asking: Does Oshkosh Corporation hire people with misdemeanors for driving while impaired? No matter how you’re charged, the company may be concerned that you have a substance abuse problem. This could make it harder for you to get hired because they need to know you’ll show up for work sober. Missing shifts is one problem but impaired staff may put themselves or coworkers at risk for accidents.
A criminal history for property crimes like theft or vandalism might raise the hiring manager’s eyebrows. They want their employees to be trustworthy and respectful — whether they have access to company property or a coworker’s belongings.
Finally, any offenses like assault that indicate you might not work well with others can give you difficulty. Cooperation is key on the job!
Does Oshkosh Corporation drug test?
Yes. Some of their job ads say you have to pass a drug test to be hired.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
Tell your story of how to get hired at Oshkosh Corporation! Now’s your chance to be heard.