Getting back on your feet might seem impossible, but it’s not. In this article, we’ll answer the question: Does United Airlines hire felons?
They are in the aviation industry and are best known for their daily flights all over the world. If you’re interested in working with a diverse company, then this article will help you get a job at United Airlines with a felony. We will provide answers to the following questions and much more:
- Does United Airlines hire people with misdemeanors?
- How can I get a job at United Airlines?
- Does United Airlines do background checks?
- Will my felony disqualify me from a position in the company?
The job market is highly competitive, but you have a spot waiting for you. We directly get in touch with companies to find out what they have to say on hiring felons. Not only that, but we also do plenty of research to bring you the freshest info regarding any company you wish to apply to.
We are fully committed to helping you get your well-deserved second chance. In fact, most of our team is composed of ex-felons. So you see, you can also change your life!
Now it’s time to learn how to get hired at United Airlines, even with a felony record!
Does United Airlines hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
Although we have contacted United Airlines, they did not reply to us. Unfortunately, we couldn’t find a direct answer online, either.
On their careers page, however, they state that they value diversity and inclusion and give everyone an opportunity to strive.
Has United Airlines hired felons in the past?
So, does United Airlines hire felons? We’re not sure.
Does United Airlines hire people with misdemeanors?
Based on their company’s careers webpage they are career friendly, which means they are open to hiring people from all backgrounds. However, whether or not this includes people with misdemeanors, we don’t know.
Is United Airlines on the Ban the Box list?
Have you heard of Ban the Box? Ban the Box is a campaign that gets companies to remove the “have you had past convictions?” box from their job application. Although this is a great initiative, they’re not part of it.
Another fact is that there are other initiatives such as the Fair Chance Business Pledge it is another great initiative that strives to give everyone an equal chance in getting a job. Unfortunately we haven’t found any official information stating that United Airlines is part of the Fair Chance Business Pledge.
Does United Airlines have special programs for hiring felons?
No, they don’t have anything specifically created to hire people with felonies or misdemeanors.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
Our research says your chances of getting hired here are uncertain. There are no strong online accounts of people with records being hired here, nor do we see a company statement saying they will or won’t.
What are some entry-level jobs?
At United Airlines, there are four different areas where you can look for a job:
- Operations: Food service, cargo, network operations, logistics.
- Corporate Support Center: Sales representative, ecommerce, marketing solutions.
- Students: Internships and full-time opportunities for counter attendants, flight attendants and many others.
- Opportunities Outside the US: All of the above mentioned opportunities including flight attendant, pilot and much more!
Most entry-level jobs here are shift work. Since airports operate 24/7, you could be scheduled to work at any time.
How to get hired at United Airlines with a felony
Airlines offer a variety of positions, so you’ll really need to tailor your application for the job you want. If you’re applying for a position that deals with people, you need to show them your customer service skills. On the other hand, if you’re looking for ground crew work, you should show how great of a team player you are and highlight any warehouse experience you have.
We want to be really clear about something: The skills you learned while incarcerated and the knowledge you gained are valuable! Don’t leave them off just because of where you got them.
Essentially, your application tells them everything about you. If you haven’t thought about what skills you have, you should start by building a resume. We’ve got an awesome guide for you here, so make sure to use it to your advantage!
Speaking of advantages, here are some tips to get you through the interview:
- Highlight how your skills match the job you’re applying for. Make your time in the room count!
- If you feel comfortable enough, you can also talk about your felony and what you have taken from it. Many companies wish to hear your personal story so they can better find a position for you.
- Also make sure you behave appropriately during the interview, whether it is in-person or online. They might be cool with some of the slang you’ve picked up, but you definitely don’t want to introduce them to it in the interview!
Does United Airlines do background checks?
Although the official website from United Airlines doesn’t mention anything regarding background checks, it’s certain that they do run them. Working at an airport requires it.
What will show on your background check, according to each state:
Did you know that some states do not show things that happened seven years ago? This is the case in the states below:
- New Hampshire*
- New York*
In some states, the cases where you were found not guilty won’t even show on your record (but the rest is fair game):
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
Unfortunately, some states will show everything on your record. Yep, even if you weren’t guilty. Look for your state here:
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
We took to the internet to do some research on United Airlines’ ratings. On glassdoor.com, they have over 2.5k reviews. The ratings are also pretty good: 3.9 out of 5 stars. People mentioned plenty of pros, including flexible travel benefits, welcoming atmosphere and that United is an employee-oriented company. As for cons, reviewers mentioned a few things like long or irregular hours and lower wages in some cases.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
It’s important to keep in mind that you might not be able to get certain positions depending on your record.
- If you were involved in terrorism of any sort, you will not get a position at United Airlines. Terrorism is a very serious crime at an airport.
- Felonies related to theft will make it harder for you to get hired in roles that handle money or luggage.
- If you have a record of violence or aggression, then you will most likely not be placed somewhere you’d deal with people directly.
Does United Airlines run a drug test?
There is no official data to answer this question.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
Now that you know exactly how to get a job at United Airlines with a felony, it’s time to go try it. If you’ve applied before, tell us what you learned and help the community!