Are you tired of all the rejection that comes with trying to find a job with a felony conviction? If so, we’re here to help relieve some of that stress as we look to see: Does Which Wich hire felons? That’s just one of the few questions we will be looking to answer in this article.
Did you know that Successful Release contacts companies directly to ask about their hiring policy for former felons? Yes, lucky for you, we do!
What would you say if we told you Successful Release is made up primarily of former felons and those who work closely with them? Well, it’s true! That’s how we know which key questions to ask to assist you and other former felons in finding a job. We’ve been in your shoes and we use our experience to make your adjustment into the workforce as smooth as possible.
Here are a few things we will be looking to uncover:
- Does Which Wich hire people with misdemeanors?
- Does Which Wich do background checks?
- Will they hire all convictions?
- What is the best approach for applying?
Does Which Wich hire felons?
Official company policy for hiring felons
We were able to make contact with the Which Wich franchise in Buffalo, NY. Here is what they had to say:
The Buffalo Which Wich is located on the secure side of the Buffalo Niagara International Airport. As such, we have limited opportunities for people with a criminal history.
But does this apply to all locations? We looked at their website and here is what we found:
Which Wich® stores are independently owned and operated by franchisees, and references to Which Wich®, our, us, we or the Company means the independent franchisee-owner. If you are applying to a franchised location, your application will be reviewed by the franchisee, who will have sole responsibility for making all employment and hiring decisions.
So does Which Wich hire felons or not? We are going to continue digging to see if we can find a more concrete answer.
Has Which Wich hired felons in the past?
We found nothing that provided us with an answer to this question.
But let’s keep reading to see what we found about how to get a job at Which Wich with a felony.
Does Which Wich hire people with misdemeanors?
Unfortunately, we were unable to find anything that gave us a simple yes or no answer. Our best recommendation would be to apply anyway. Read on to see our section on how to get hired at Which Wich with a felony — this can also be used as a tool for applying with misdemeanors!
Is Which Wich on the Ban the Box list?
Support groups are growing as more people are becoming aware of the difficulties former felons face getting a job. The Ban the Box campaign, for example, tries to convince employers to remove all questions regarding previous convictions from their applications. The point is to see the applicant for their qualifications instead of their past mistakes.
The Fair Chance Business Pledge is an agreement made by companies who volunteer to commit to fair hiring practices for everyone, including individuals with previous convictions.
Which Wich doesn’t support Ban the Box, but we wanted to be thorough. We filled out an application and noticed they didn’t ask about a criminal background on their application. This might may depend on the franchise, though.
Does Which Wich have special programs for hiring felons?
Which Wich doesn’t offer these programs.
What are the odds someone with a felony will get hired?
Even though we believe there is a chance for you to be hired here, we can’t put your odds higher than uncertain. This is based off of the lack of information from the company and what we could find online.
But let’s read on to see what we were able to find in helping you know how to get a job at Which Wich with a felony.
What are some entry-level jobs?
Which Wich’s career page shows the different entry-level jobs that are available at each location, but here are the two most common and their requirements:
- Sandwhich Artist — This job will require greeting customers, preparing food, cleaning and following safety regulations and procedures. There weren’t any requirements listed for this specific job.
- Crew Member — This position is available for both full- and part-time. Basic requirements include: Customer service experience, basic math skills, a high school diploma or GED, and the ability to lift up to 15 pounds overhead. Previous food service experience preferred but not required.
From studying Which Wich, we know that each job will require the ability to work as a team and be respectful.
How to get hired at Which Wich with a felony
Since Which Wich are generally franchises (this means each location is owned by a different person), the requirements for each store may vary.
Here are a few suggestions to get you on the right track:
- First, research the company to see what positions they have open and that you qualify for. Which Wich has very high standards concerning customer service and teamwork.
- Be sure you’re knowledgeable of their 10 points of Superior Service. These appear on every job posting they have, so you know they’re important!
- The application is done online, like most. The last step of the application will require you to upload a resume.
- Don’t have a resume? We can help here too. Make sure you look over our section dedicated to helping you add the flare you need to make your resume stand out.
- Be sure to include all the skills and experience you have that relate to the job you chose. This includes similar jobs or even ones you had during your incarceration.
- A great example would be the kitchen job you had. This job required skills such as: Customer service, cleaning, teamwork and unloading trucks. You just have to think about it the right way!
- Don’t stress the interview. This will be your best opportunity to discuss your background and inform them of the positive things you have done since then.
- Which Wich makes it known they are all about vibe. What does that mean? This means they want energetic, upbeat and friendly employees.
- So when you’re interviewing, you need to make sure you’re letting your smile and personality shine through.
- Be honest and make them see you are willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
Does Which Wich do background checks?
Yes, we know some Which Wich locations will do a background check. How do we know? Here is what we were provided with:
The Buffalo Which Wich is located on the secure side of the Buffalo Niagara International Airport. As such, we have limited opportunities for people with a criminal history. All associates working on the secure side of any airport are required by the TSA to obtain a SIDA badge, which includes a ten year FBI background check, and prohibits those with certain convictions. For your reference, a list of disqualifying offenses can be found at https://www.tsa.gov/disqualifying-offenses-factors
However, it’s not clear if all locations will or if it’s only certain ones. It’s really a good idea that you’re prepared to disclose any information about your background, just in case.
Something to keep in mind regarding background checks:
We are happy to tell you that there are states that will look at an offense only if it’s less than seven years old. Those states include:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New Hampshire
- New York
There are also states that will only look at only guilty convictions. Here are those states:
- Indiana (limited check)
- New York
Of course there are some states that are a little behind on the times and will look at everything. Those states are as follows:
- Indiana (extensive check)
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Looking at glassdoor.com, Which Wich was rated 3 out of 5 stars. There were a lot of complaints regarding pay not being enough for duties required. Other than that, Which Wich seems to be a fun place to work that offers flexible schedules.
What felony convictions might have a hard time getting hired here?
We know from our research that Which Wich is big on employee attitude and customer service. Their response also suggests some locations at least will look very unfavorably on felony records. So there will more than likely be a few convictions every Which Wich will see as obstacles.
Any offense that involves a violent or a sexual crime will be frowned upon, since all positions interact with customers.
Another requirement for their positions involves working with money and credit cards, so there is a chance theft charges might make getting hired difficult.
Does Which Wich drug test?
There was nothing that proved that Which Wich performs a drug screen. However, this may differ at each location, so we advise you to be prepared.
Have you applied for a job or worked here? Share your experiences!
What experience do you have working at Which Wich with a felony? We appreciate feedback!